As many of you will be aware, there are changes being proposed to the Construction (Design and Design) Management Regulations in 2015. These significant changes to CDM will have implications to those involved in the design process and will affect how you are currently managing projects.
The proposed changes include the removal of the CDM Coordinator role and the introduction of ‘Principal Designers’, which will see a shift in duty and responsibility for the following areas:
- assisting the client in identifying, obtaining and collating pre-construction information;
- providing pre-construction information to designers, principal contractor and contractors;
- ensuring that designers comply with their duties and co-operate with each other;
- liaising with the principal contractor for the duration of the appointment, and
- preparing the health and safety file.
As the industry starts to prepare, draft industry guidance has been issued by both the CITB and the HSE on the proposed ‘Principal Designers’ role. This is obviously subject to change but should provide you with an insight on those new requirements.
If you require CDM 2015 systems development, training or delivery support please do not hesitate to give us a call on +44 (0)141 244 0181.